Thursday, May 21, 2009

Eggs, Eggs, and More Eggs!

Lemon: Who put all of these eggs in my basket... was it you???? Pretty soon there won't be enough room in here for me! Besides, some of these aren't even mine!



Laura: Calm down Lem, remember, we're doing this to send your body the message that it's time to stop laying eggs. OK everyone, this is not a silly duck joke. Let me explain...

Lemon has been laying for about a month now and it's time to to put the brakes on! It takes a lot out of her to lay all of these eggs.

Instead of taking the eggs away from her each day, I hard boil them and put them back in her basket (remember, they're not fertilized and will not hatch into babies).
When they get all dented and crumbly, I replace them with wooden eggs (less messy). You can see in the picture some are real and some are wooden.

Here's the scenario I'm shooting for:

Once Lemon has a full clutch (10-15 eggs) she'll stop laying and become broody (want to sit and protect her eggs).
So far, she just keeps laying (she can be a very stubborn little girl).
But, I did see a good sign today. While she was in her Lemobile she was preening and pulling out some of her breast feathers.
Maybe for a nest, Lem?

Lemon: Maybe...

No comments: